Cheltenham Craft Beer and Cider Festival 2017
Cheltenham Friends of the Samaritans are holding their 12th Cheltenham Beer Festival on Saturday 10th June 2017 from 12 noon – 11:00pm. The event is being held at The Old Patesians Rugby Club, 52 Everest Road, Cheltenham GL53 9LG.
For the past two years we have experimented with offering Craft Keg beers at our Beer festival, these have been incredibly well received and each year they have produced the majority of the top beers in our beer of the festival judging and have also just about fully sold out. This year we have decided to focus primarily on Craft Keg beers and whilst there will be potentially only 20 of these superb beers available at any one time, we hope to offer over 40 different beers over the course of the day. There will be a few cask beers (aka Real Ale) available at the festival for the traditionalist drinkers as well as a whole range of traditional Cider and Perry, and for the first time a Craft Bottle and Keg bar.
We are also pleased to announce that The Sealed Knot will be joining us to re-enact an historic battle while you enjoy your Cider or Craft Keg Beer. More details can be found here
To purchase tickets click here
Some of the reasons for us offering Craft Keg beers are as follows:
- Modern Craft Keg beers are superb quality with outrageous amounts of aroma and flavour and they bear no comparison to the generally awful keg beers of the 70s and 80s
- Our festival is held in the height of Summer and it is sometimes very difficult to serve cask beers at optimum temperatures, this is not a problem with Craft Keg beers which can be served at ideal temperatures whatever the weather.
- Many of the leading lights of the UK brewing scene do not package their beers in casks – we can however get their beers in keg form
- If a Cask Beer isn’t fully sold out at our festival, we need to tip the rest away on the Sunday – partially used Craft Keg Beers can be sold on for re-use thus cutting down on wastage (and tears) and reducing risk
- Setting up a range of Cask beers is a time and labour intensive process taking many days, Craft Keg bars can be set up in a few hours
- Even with lots of loving care and attention, it is not unusual to find Cask beers that are not fit to serve, Craft Keg beers do not generally suffer from this problem
- By serving Craft Keg beers we will be able to offer a range of superb foreign beers at our festival for the first time.
- A Cask beer festival in Gloucestershire is no longer a unique event (over 30 held in 2016) – no one has run a Craft Keg Beer festival in Gloucestershire before
- Craft Keg beers are attracting a new younger audience of beer drinkers and this is to be welcomed and encouraged
Take a look at previous festivals !